Thursday, August 4, 2011

Ranting on the Plane

**Written on the plane back on July 20th but posted now** 

So after a great trip back home, I'm finally off to Japan. I was trying to use my miles to upgrade to business class but I was able to get economy plus in the exit row seat and I have so much room in front of me I have actually done a few sets of push ups in-between watching movies, and eating, of course. The 777 I'm in is 9 seats across in economy and so far is making good time cruising along at 38,000 feet. On my last flight, the pilot came on the speaker and told us the altitude we were flying at. The guy I was sitting next to asked me, "why do we fly so high?" The airlines have been pioneering fuel conservation and have found a few cool ways to do so. When you are flying, there are many speeds that can be used for various reasons, it's not like being in a car where you just look at the speedometer and instantly know the speed you are traveling along the ground. Due to winds, instrument limitations, temperature, barometric pressure and other factors, the speed on your airspeed gauge only shows the speed of the air entering a little tube facing the front of the airplane, called the pitot tube(pronounced pee-toe). Yea, I know what your thinking, the French don't know how to pronounce their own words whatsoever. Give it to the French to take something made up in the good Ol' US of A and have the audacity to slap their names on it. Fuselage, empennage, and pitot tube are just a few of the ones that come to mind right now. I better caveat this with the fact that they do sound a little more majestic then what we probably would have come up with but it's just food for thought. No hard feelings for my millions of French readers, right?

Alas, I digress... Back to fuel, without getting into to much physics, the higher you fly, the better "mileage" you get. In addition to the possibility of using jet streams, one of the other speeds flyers use, true airspeed (versus indicated airspeed shown on the gauge), increases with altitude. So say for example you compute that due to your aircraft and engines, you want to fly at 250 knots/hr "indicated" airspeed. Well if you had absolutely no winds, in a perfect world, your "groundspeed" would equal "indicated" airspeed on the gauge at sea level. However, for every 1,000 feet you climb, you gain another 3knots in true airspeed, which for sake of discussion well say is the same as "ground" speed;) did I confuse you yet??? So say you were flying 250kts/hr at sea level, when you climb up to 25,000 ft (25 X 3 kts/1,000 ft= 75 kts. So that's an additional 75 knots of "free speed" you get after you take out the additional fuel it takes to make the climb. I imagine the cost to climb is offset by the fact that you get to descend at nearly idle for the last 50-100 miles depending on your altitude and if you do it right. In addition to saving gas, at higher altitudes you also smash less bugs, not just the insects but also those little ity slow bugs called Cessnas, Pipers, and others that will not fly at higher altitudes due to lack of engine capability and supplemental oxygen, pressurization, ect.

Well I have another 1 hour 47 minutes till we arrive in Tokyo, should be interesting for sure. I'll write more on the flight to Okinawa and I explore the airport.

No comments: