Friday, October 17, 2008

Euro Trip Relfections 08'

Some of you may be wondering how I came to wanting to start this blog. I will get to it in a bit but first off I want to tell you what's new in the land of Europa and the life of David, and how those two things created a crash course leading to a head-on collision.

Well after much waiting for my train pass, I finally received it and was on the United 924 flying business class about 7 hours later. I felt pretty lucky as not only did a get a seat on the flight on that flight but also was able to get on Business class. It was my first time so I was anxious to see the differences between the "cattle car" in the back and the more human business class. First off, it's like an open bar, but you don't even need to get out of your seat. They kept the vodka tonics coming non-stop for about two hours till dinner came out (ribs an stir fried veges) and then gave me Argentine malbec vino to start helping the sleeping process.

I had a window seat so there was one other guy sitting next to me who turned out to be a Stanford med school graduate on his way to Stockholm for a conference. We enjoyed converstating through the night about hobbies, our jobs, and the world in general. One thing I noticed again is how people like to talk. I don't know if its just because I'm a good listener or because he was just a little full of himself but he could pretty much hold a whole conversation with changing subjects without much more input than eye contact, the occasional comment or head-nod. At any rate, he was a neat guy and I enjoyed talking to him and he sure made the flight go by faster. The drinks and talking made the "night" approach much faster that I had imagined. After a while, we reclined our seats back, pushed up the foot rest and were out.... Well kinda, he (his name is David also) was out, but I couldn't find a comfortable position and starting getting too excited about the destination that was only hours away.

Anyways... I have to catch the train to St. Gallen, Switzerland. Ill write when i get the chance.

No comments: